The most annoying type of phone call to take is one where people insist you are an imbecile. They present their issue and automatically take the stance that YOU somehow screwed everything up because YOU are incapable of doing anything efficiently. They do this using words such as "upset" and "me" and "problem" and "never had this before" bla bla.

When the truth is that most of the delay was out of our hands. We were waiting for approvals and last-minute changes and these are contracted items- we can't just print whenever we want, whatever we want.

Suggesting logical solutions never helps. They only further solidify their stance by repeating what they originally said because, after all, I am an incapable (and deaf) imbecile and what I say must be incorrect. I must do all the footwork because I am customer service, and even if maybe the post office screwed up, I am God and am expected to shoulder the blame.

One of many reasons why I can't wait to get out of direct customer service. One of the other major reasons being that I just dislike people, in general, so there's that.

It kind of reminds me of when I was a kid, and all the retard, small-town idiots would mock my food, or my music choice, or me. Even though I could verbally break down their idiocy for them in logical half-steps, they simply remained correct no matter what. This followed into schooltime authority figures who were also never wrong. After all, they've made up their mind, they have their opinions, and there's no possible way that you, a lowly peon, could know more about a situation than them.

Except that I have always had heightened observational skills allowing me to do well on tests without really studying at all and to notice minutiae in most everything. Little details tell a better story than big ideas clouded by years of prejudgment and sympathy which, to this type of creature, is really just another word for pity.

There's one of you and thousands of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home