Last night on my way downtown I heard a familiar bit-o-music. A small piece from a song I once knew, then quickly remembered: it was a good song of epic proportions, performed and written perfectly by a favourite band of mine.
Except for one thing: it wasn't them singing it. As the raspy, unrefined vocals kicked in, I couldn't immediately tell who it was. Thoughts of Chris Cornell ran through my head as sugar plums do on Christmas Eve™. A few more seconds of exposure brought to my attention that it was, indeed, Pearl Jam: a paste of uncultured pearls.
First off, I like Pearl Jam. I dig some of the grunge, and even though Eddie Vedder just kinda stands there these days, they are very much enjoyable to at least listen to (i.e. not paying $100 to watch Vedder stand there and make stroke-face).
Getting back to last night, however, it was a complete and utter butchery of a song that should never really be covered in the first place. Perhaps I am biased since The Who are my number one band, but Pearl Jam's cover of Love Reign O'er Me was completely uncalled for and, quite frankly, terrible. Like a bull being castrated on a humid summer morn', so too did Eddie Vedder screech himself towards the final riff. The beauty of that song is its softness: from the synth/strings to the smooth yelling of one Roger Daltrey, it's like a musical king of love reigning over his completely lobotomized kingdom. Or something.
Anyway, I was so disgusted that I actually made Disgusting Face™ at another driver at the stop light.
I never want to hear it again. However, for your (dis)pleasure, here it is in all its UNglory for you to poke audio ice picks into your own ear drums.
Horrible.
Except for one thing: it wasn't them singing it. As the raspy, unrefined vocals kicked in, I couldn't immediately tell who it was. Thoughts of Chris Cornell ran through my head as sugar plums do on Christmas Eve™. A few more seconds of exposure brought to my attention that it was, indeed, Pearl Jam: a paste of uncultured pearls.First off, I like Pearl Jam. I dig some of the grunge, and even though Eddie Vedder just kinda stands there these days, they are very much enjoyable to at least listen to (i.e. not paying $100 to watch Vedder stand there and make stroke-face).
Getting back to last night, however, it was a complete and utter butchery of a song that should never really be covered in the first place. Perhaps I am biased since The Who are my number one band, but Pearl Jam's cover of Love Reign O'er Me was completely uncalled for and, quite frankly, terrible. Like a bull being castrated on a humid summer morn', so too did Eddie Vedder screech himself towards the final riff. The beauty of that song is its softness: from the synth/strings to the smooth yelling of one Roger Daltrey, it's like a musical king of love reigning over his completely lobotomized kingdom. Or something.
Anyway, I was so disgusted that I actually made Disgusting Face™ at another driver at the stop light.
I never want to hear it again. However, for your (dis)pleasure, here it is in all its UNglory for you to poke audio ice picks into your own ear drums.
Horrible.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home