But what can you do for me? Nothing.
I never understood, rather... never wanted to understand the reasoning behind choosing friends based on what they can do for you. You might say that all friendships are based on selfish reasons, otherwise we'd all be content being 100% alone. Maybe friendships are our way of dealing with the fact that we can never be 100% alone- there are always people around, no matter where you go, so you might as well decide which ones to like and which ones to tar and feather. You must decide which people you can stand having around you and which ones you would rather have wait on the porch.
"Must," one of those words that infers obligation. I must go to work, I must pay bills, I must must must. Really, though, there are no obligations in life only things we should do in order to avoid certain feared consequences. No? I say "we" a lot, but hear me out, I'm pontificating...
The only things we "must" do are those things that will hopefully bring about the desired outcome: sticking it out, walking away, finding a way. If you remove the desire for any outcome, then we must do nothing. You might be thinking that dying would constitute a "must" but it doesn't- the word "must" implies that action will follow, something you have to do- dying, even by suicide, is out of our control therefore we are going to die, but we mustn't. Must is a word that must not exist if we must analyze everything to death.
I never understood, rather... never wanted to understand the reasoning behind choosing friends based on what they can do for you. You might say that all friendships are based on selfish reasons, otherwise we'd all be content being 100% alone. Maybe friendships are our way of dealing with the fact that we can never be 100% alone- there are always people around, no matter where you go, so you might as well decide which ones to like and which ones to tar and feather. You must decide which people you can stand having around you and which ones you would rather have wait on the porch.
"Must," one of those words that infers obligation. I must go to work, I must pay bills, I must must must. Really, though, there are no obligations in life only things we should do in order to avoid certain feared consequences. No? I say "we" a lot, but hear me out, I'm pontificating...
The only things we "must" do are those things that will hopefully bring about the desired outcome: sticking it out, walking away, finding a way. If you remove the desire for any outcome, then we must do nothing. You might be thinking that dying would constitute a "must" but it doesn't- the word "must" implies that action will follow, something you have to do- dying, even by suicide, is out of our control therefore we are going to die, but we mustn't. Must is a word that must not exist if we must analyze everything to death.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home