Patterns and routines are the ruling forces of the morning traveller. Wake up at that time, in the shower by this time, out the door at least by this time so I can get to point B at this time and transfer on to point C by that time. Everything becomes ultimate routine because who wants to think before noon, really? Nobody, I tell ya whut.
The most prominent part of my morning pattern/routine is where I stand to get prime subway seating. I know exactly where the train will stop so that a certain door will be in front of me, and that door leads directly to the Best Seat-- on the subway car: facing forward, a double-seat that nobody ever wants to occupy (let's rub legs for half an hour YAY), and leg room. I always go for this seat, but if all else fails, the Aimoo2000 initiates Plan B and goes for closest/most available seating (Plan B is tentatively called "Whatever I can get").
This type of neenerneet computation is pretty much how I (secretly) run my whole life. Observation, calculation, averages, and estimation are the key processes that govern my every move... probably why I find most other people entirely frustrating: "what do you mean you lost your keys?!"
Paying attention has its merits and demerits (duh). It's another one of those excess vs. moderation type dealies whereby too much will make you ill, and too little will get you run over by some late businesswoman in bile-coloured pumps. But I stick to my theory that it is better to be a little uneasy at most times than than to be impaled by a stiletto...
But it's not always the physical that suffers, the psychological well being of the collective us depends on our paying attention to the needs of ourselves and of others. Of course, it's easy to get caught up in others, so that balance can prove difficult...
I am reading a book called Codependent No More which addresses a lot of the issues I struggle with, daily. Somehow I wonder, though, if you can effectively empathize with someone unless you really feel it? If you're detached, do your words and concerns lose meaning? Am I making classic-case excuses? I know I have made myself ill, at certain points in life, worrying about others and their intentions- and I know that is not healthy. Though with age it seems to be waning a bit, I don't ever wish that to be completely replaced with apathy.
Processes and computations I can handle. Clear situations with tangible solutions are a piece of cake, no matter the subject. But it's The Other that is difficult because I think and live a lot in extremes, the either/or syndrome... applicable to robots but not to humans.
The most prominent part of my morning pattern/routine is where I stand to get prime subway seating. I know exactly where the train will stop so that a certain door will be in front of me, and that door leads directly to the Best Seat-- on the subway car: facing forward, a double-seat that nobody ever wants to occupy (let's rub legs for half an hour YAY), and leg room. I always go for this seat, but if all else fails, the Aimoo2000 initiates Plan B and goes for closest/most available seating (Plan B is tentatively called "Whatever I can get").
This type of neenerneet computation is pretty much how I (secretly) run my whole life. Observation, calculation, averages, and estimation are the key processes that govern my every move... probably why I find most other people entirely frustrating: "what do you mean you lost your keys?!"
Paying attention has its merits and demerits (duh). It's another one of those excess vs. moderation type dealies whereby too much will make you ill, and too little will get you run over by some late businesswoman in bile-coloured pumps. But I stick to my theory that it is better to be a little uneasy at most times than than to be impaled by a stiletto...
But it's not always the physical that suffers, the psychological well being of the collective us depends on our paying attention to the needs of ourselves and of others. Of course, it's easy to get caught up in others, so that balance can prove difficult...
I am reading a book called Codependent No More which addresses a lot of the issues I struggle with, daily. Somehow I wonder, though, if you can effectively empathize with someone unless you really feel it? If you're detached, do your words and concerns lose meaning? Am I making classic-case excuses? I know I have made myself ill, at certain points in life, worrying about others and their intentions- and I know that is not healthy. Though with age it seems to be waning a bit, I don't ever wish that to be completely replaced with apathy.
Processes and computations I can handle. Clear situations with tangible solutions are a piece of cake, no matter the subject. But it's The Other that is difficult because I think and live a lot in extremes, the either/or syndrome... applicable to robots but not to humans.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home